Sunday, March 16, 2014

Golden



Sometimes I feel golden.
I'm a glimmering speck floating through space and time. 
A tiny gold star in a far away but beautiful patch of the sky.
In these moments I am absolutely certain that nothing 
– not life nor death, not hunger or nakedness, 
not heartbreak nor all the misfortune in the world - can stop me. 
In these moments I do not merely feel strong or courageous,
 but I am all together certain that I am nothing short of invincible.
These moments usually come late in the day.
 As the sun prepares to clock out something in my veins begins to radiate
 and the sensation takes me over.
In the dead, grotesque, empty areas I rapidly come back to life. 
I feel as though the soon-to-be-sleeping sun sees me. 
And I have not a doubt that she understands how I feel. 
Taking pity on me she casts a spell upon my soul 
and she watches with pride as my eyes once again begin to sparkle 
and the hairs on the back of my neck start to dance 
in a frenzy of excitement.
All at once the sky explodes, my mind following in it’s nuclear path 
and now all I can think of is the fact that we are young and free 
and if God is for us then who in the world can possibly stop us.
I start to breathe deeper than I ever have before, 
gulping and gasping selfish and glutinous breaths. 
Visions of the night ahead flash through my young mind 
and at once I understand that for this night there is no map, 
no plan, no prescribed method. 
For this night there is only freedom 
and there is nothing in the world that could not or may not take place
 if we so will it.
As I watch the sun sinks deeper into the rich, warm earth. 
My heart races ever faster and my skin burns ever hotter.
As the great lady of the sky retires into darkness, my mind is further illuminated. 
It’s as if she’s decided to lend me her glow for the night 
 - a blessing far too great to ignore.
I hop into the car, start the engine and drive quietly into a great perhaps.
My friend, these are the golden days.

No comments:

Post a Comment